Tony Elumelu: My Encounter with a 21st Century Boss
 - by Sijibomi Ogundele



The CEO of Sujimoto Group, Sijibomi Ogundele met with Tony Elemelu, at his Ikoyi office on Monday 18th of April, and wanted to share his experience
''A Leader is one who knows the way, goes the way and shows the way.” Out of John C. Maxwell’s many quotes on Leadership, this one struck me when I had the privilege of a time out with Successful Entrepreneur and Mentor, Tony Elemelu, at his Ikoyi office on Monday.
As I walked into his office premises, I wondered how my outing would fare. I began to profile him in my head. He is a busy man. So, he must be impatient. I would only have maybe a few minutes with him. My phone rang, as I was about to step into his office. My Secretary was calling yet again … another appointment … that I had to cancel. My meeting with Jesus was more important than Peter. An Executive came to me.


‘Mr. Elumelu has been away so this meeting will be rescheduled’. As I was about leaving, another Executive Assistant came to me, ‘Tony says he must see you now’. Tony Elemelu’s charm is what strikes you first. His charisma then draws you in. He looked up from his paper work. ‘’Come in, Suji, don’t mind the schedule.’’ He was indeed a very busy man. He looked up from his mountainous paper work and asked me genuinely, ‘So, Suji, how are you? And Lorenzo?’. I do not get asked that type of question everyday. Although a busy man, Tony is very much alive to business happenings around him. He was reading through his recent French interview with FORBES francophone. I politely excused myself to give time to finish the task before him. ''Uncle T, I’m not in a hurry, let me leave you. Do your thing and I would wait and make some calls at the reception''. An attitude he was to commend later.

After few minutes, he called me out and we headed to Lunch. Wait a minute! This guy has lunch at the Staff Cafeteria!!! An Entrepreneur who pumps millions on Dollars into Businesses, Philanthropy, Mentorship across Africa, eats with his staff right at the same table!!! After he had finished his plate of plantain, he stretches to mine. ‘Suji, this your beans looks nicer than mine’. Then after a few seconds, he extended his fork towards into one of his Executives’ plate and takes a slice of Chicken. You could tell, that the bond went beyond just eating at the same table.

‘Joke, when did you resume?’
‘Segun, you stained your cloths, the beans must be so good.’
‘Lola, aren’t you eating today?’
'Bola, do you know Sujimoto, haven’t you heard about LorenzoBySujimoto'
‘Funke, please smile, don’t be shy. Your Fufu would show but don’t be shy.’

A selfie expert, Tony didn't hesitate to take out his iPhone for an immediate selfies session. This was a major life lesson. The very things we consider little in life also matter and go a long way to influence organisational output. No wonder this man excels at everything he does. His Humility is everything!

Tony Elumelu is indeed the 21st Century Boss who exemplifies the reality that Dictatorship has no place in Modern Leadership.

Comments